Thursday 25 April 2013

I have a pretty idyllic life and one that I suspect many people would give their eye teeth for. One of the most pleasant things I do in my life is look after a very remote fishing lodge (www.camasunarie.co.uk). It's a steep and rocky quad ride to get there and on a nice day the views, I think, rival anything in Europe. The house sits in a bay which nestles between Bla Bheinn and the Cuillin. It's spectacular but it's very location is part of a problem. To cut a long story short about 99% of the planet's rubbish seems to wash up there. Last year we took around 7 tonnes of plastic off, this year will be much the same. It's remote, expensive and bloody hard work.

Much of it is the detritus of fishing - the real price of fish as I call it. However, other categories of waste are represented - household, industrial, yachting...and fieldsports.

What? I hear you cry. Yes, there is always a profusion of empty cartridge cases washed up, not to mention plastic wads. In my opinion there is no need for any of it and it makes me angry, but what makes my blood boil is the cartridge cases, I know they are comparatively small but be sure, everyone who sees one will sway a little towards anti-ism. There is no need for it. OK, the odd one get's dropped, I understand that, but there are obviously still people around who think it is acceptable to toss their empties into the burn or the sea but this is completely UNACCEPTABLE. So folks, if you see anyone dropping their cases or you yourself are tempted....please, don't be a tosser.

No comments:

Post a Comment